New Town District Football Club
Glenorchy District Football Club
A new era……..1957
Due to concerns by both the TFL and the New Town Football Club over the size of the New Town oval and the limited spectator facilities.
Plus the strong possibility that the TFL would most likely at some time in the near future revise the boundary that separated North Hobart from that of New Town, as the Glenorchy precinct was potentially a large growth area.
Following tentative talks that took place between the Club and TFL in the latter part of 1956 in regard to these matters. The club committee decided to approach the Glenorchy Council for talks on the availability of KGV oval.
Council was most receptive to the club’s proposition and assured the committee that adequate facilities would be available for season 1957.
The outcome was :
- New Town committee met on 15th February 1957 with a deputation from the Glenorchy Football Club (Southern Districts Association) to discuss the possibility of an amalgamation of the two clubs.
New Town’s submission to the discussion process included club colours.
This item caused some debate before it was agreed that the colours would be Black& White vertical stripes.
- The new club would recognise the newly defunct club Life Members by including them and those from New Town on the club honour board.
- The former Glenorchy club committee would continue to control teams in both the Southern Districts Association and Queenborough Football Association.
At a ‘Special Meeting’ of club members on Wednesday 27th February1957 the following motion: ‘That the name of the New Town District Football Club be changed to the Glenorchy District Football Club’ was put to the meeting.
A secret ballot was conducted with the outcome being in favour of the motion.
The meeting was held in the then Club rooms, Albert Road, Moonah.
The Club expended a total of Three Thousand pounds, Eighteen shillings & Sixpence on the completion of the KGV pavilion.
On 7th September 1957, a social evening was held at the club’s pavilion and the rooms were officially opened by club President, Mr. Laurie Bevan.
The new Glenorchy District Football Club, with the support of Council, purchased the HEC’s (Hydro Electic Commission) ex-Mens Mess Hall at Liawenee to be dismantled and transported to KGV oval.
The hall would be utilized as player change rooms and for social events.
A sub-committee comprising Messrs : Hilton Lane, ‘Pop’ Flack, Geoff John, Alan Hill, Bob Mawbey, Harry Turner and Reg Lewis, was formed to ensure the project was successful.
The Club noted special recognition to the following club members and supporters who assisted in the demolition and transportation of the building, Messrs: Laurie Bevan, B. Bromfield, T. Cannon, L. Donohue, R. Lewis, D. Quinn, K. Stevens, S. Taylor, R. Wills and W. Bleathman.
The first team to play on KGV oval in 1957 was under the direction of Coach, Jack Rough and his deputy, Roy Witzerman. The players were:
Neil Conlan (Captain) Alan Lewis (Vice Captain) Ian Haygarth, Jim Manson, Bill Bond, Barry Strange, Arthur Kregor, T. Mazengarb, B. Townley, D. Brittain, John Webster, Eric Hanlon, Dal Johnston, Robert Stokell, Reg Barling, Geoff Langridge, Bruce Sweeney, Brian Eade.
The Club’s General Committee consisted of:
Patron : Mr. A. Fennell
Patroness : Mrs. A. Fennell
Deputy Patron : Mr. A. I. Palfreyman
President : Mr. L. F. Bevan
Deputy President : Mr. W. Green
Chairman : Mr. Keith Dickenson
Deputy Chairman : Mr. J. F. McKay
Hon. Secretary : Mr. S. E. Lewis
Hon. Assist. Sec. : Mr. T. Smart
Hon. Treasurer : Mr. G. A. Turner
Committeemen : Messrs, S. Barwick, N. Conlan, V. Cooper, D. Fish, D. Goodluck, A. Hill, G. John, I. Kendall, R. J. Lewis, K. R. Mawbey, H. J. Turner, L. H. Turner, N. Venables.
Reserves Coach was Roy Witzerman and Captain was Ray Russell with Vice Captain, Alan Baker.
The Seniors reached the grand final only to be beaten by North Hobart, whilst the reserves won the TFL Seconds League Premiership.
Club President, Mr. Laurie Bevan announced that the Committee had decided that twenty four Certificates of Merit would be presented in 1957 to those volunteers who have served the club over the past thirteen years.